Grants for hosts of Fall/Winter Gatherings
2023-2024 Grant Recipients
We are pleased to announce that the following five carillon gatherings will receive financial support from the GCNA in 2023-2024. We hope you will consider attending one or more of these events, which are taking place in several regions of North America at various times of the year. Each offer an opportunity to participate in a masterclass on the institution's primary instrument. Further details will be released as the dates of gatherings approach.
(Note: While it is providing financial support to the hosts of these gatherings, the GCNA itself is not a host/organizer. Please contact the hosts listed below for more information.)
- Rockefeller Memorial Chapel at the University of Chicago (September 29-30, 2023)
- Host: Annie Wang
- Come to Rockefeller Chapel at the University of Chicago for a regional conference on September 29-30th! Hear concerts from Austin Ferguson, Dennis Curry, Kim Schafer, Jim Fackenthal, Jon Lehrer, Michael Solotke, Tim Sleep, Tin-Shi Tam, Wade FitzGerald, and the UChicago Guild of Carillonists! Learn about Baroque Ornamentation, the renovation of the St. Chrysostom's carillon, and the innovative designs of the Metz carillon! Click this link for the full schedule of the conference.
- Please register through this form by September 15th. There are no registration fees.
- Riverside Church NYC (October 20-21, 2023)
- Host: Lynnli Wang
- Please join us for the inaugural NYC Carillon Fall Festival hosted by both Riverside Church and St. Thomas Fifth Avenue on 10/20-21. This 1.5 day event will include masterclasses, recitals, tower tours, open rings, and more!
- Schedule and registration link can be found on our event page.
- The Citadel, Charleston SC (November 10-12, 2023)
- Brigham Young University (March 9, 2024)
- Église St.-Jean-Baptiste, Ottawa, Ontario & Oratoire St.-Joseph, Montréal, Québec (April 26-27, 2024)
Grant Program Details
The GCNA is pleased offer a grant program for hosts of fall/winter carillon gatherings.
For each of the seven geographic regions listed below, one grant of $1,000 will be available. (Up to seven grants may be awarded each year.)
To qualify, each gathering must:
- feature a schedule that includes at least 90 minutes of performance-based masterclasses conducted at the carillon;
- take place between September 15 and March 31; and
- be open to all GCNA members.
It is expected that most of these gatherings will be one-day events (perhaps 1.5 days), but there is no strict requirement relating to duration.
Hosts are encouraged to include recitals, lectures, open tower time, outreach activities, and other elements in the event schedule, but the only requirement is at least 90 minutes of masterclasses (which can be split into more than one session).
Deadline: submit the application form by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 1.
Download the application form in Word or PDF. (Tip if using the PDF: use the Fill & Sign feature in the free Adobe Reader or another PDF program to fill and sign the form electronically.)
Potential applicants are encouraged to contact us at email@example.com (Chair of the Board Subcommittee for Events) to ask questions or discuss their ideas informally.
Members and potential hosts within each region are also encouraged to communicate with one another to discuss their plans.
If there is more than one applicant from a region, the GCNA Board Subcommittee for Events will select the successful application from each region based on a variety of factors including: the draft schedule, the proposed budget including the affordability of registration fees, the qualifications of the masterclass instructor, the state of repair of the carillon, and the applicant's experience in hosting similar events.
Decisions will be communicated to applicants soon after the application deadline.
Past Grant Recipients
2022-2023 Grant Recipients
The following carillon gatherings received financial support from the GCNA in Fall 2022.
- Northeast Region Gathering on October 15-16, 2022, in Toronto, ON
- Host: Roy Lee
- Featuring a masterclass with Margaret Pan on the Metropolitan United Church's Massey/Drury Memorial Carillon (and other programming)
- For more details and the registration form, click here
- North Central Region Gathering on November 4-5, 2022, in Rochester, MN
- Host: Austin Ferguson
- Featuring a masterclass with Laura Ellis on the Rochester Carillon at Mayo Clinic (and other programming)
- The registration form and schedule are now available - registration deadline is October 15
2021-2022 Grant Recipients
The following carillon gatherings received financial support from the GCNA in Fall 2021.
- Northeast Region Gathering on October 9, 2021, in Cohasset, MA
- Host: John Whiteside
- Featuring a masterclass with Ellen Dickinson on the St. Stephen's Carillon (and other programming)
- For more details and the registration form, click here (PDF) - registration deadline is September 25
- Southwest Region Gathering on October 22-23, 2021, in Austin, TX
- Hosts: The University of Texas Guild of Carillonneurs and Alex Johnson
- Featuring a masterclass with Carol Jickling Lens on the Kniker Carillon (and other programming)
- For more details and the registration form, click here (PDF) - registration deadline is September 30
Up to one event will be funded in each of the seven geographic regions listed below.
- NORTHEAST - Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Ontario, Quebec
- MID-ATLANTIC - District of Columbia, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia
- SOUTHEAST - Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee
- GREAT LAKES - Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio
- NORTH CENTRAL - Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin
- SOUTHWEST - Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas
- WEST - California, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, British Columbia